Since moving out into my own place, I’ve been very careful to make sure food does not go to waste.
I had a few bits and bobs that really needed to be used up, so I thought I would make a meal of it using my slow cooker.
It turned out so good that I thought I would share the recipe!
This unintentionally turned into a Spanish chicken style meal.
Ingredients (this would serve 2)
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- Beef stock
- 2 chicken breasts
- Squeeze of tomato paste for good measure
- First, finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Cook them in a saucepan and a little oil until the onion softens.
- Whilst the onions are cooking, chop the rest of your vegetables into chunks.
- Transfer the onion and garlic into your slow cooker.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, pepper, mushrooms, stock and a squeeze of tomato paste.
- Place the 2 chicken breasts in the middle of your dish.
- Cook on low all day. (I put my dinner in at about 8.30am and ate about 7pm)
- I like to stir the mixture if I can just to make sure nothing is seperating.
- Before serving, shred your chicken in the slow cooker by pulling it apart with 2 forks.
- Serve with rice (or whatever you wish ☺️)
I hope this post at least inspires you not to throw away the odds and ends you have in your fridge and to get creative! This meal was super healthy and delicious and it feels good knowing nothing was wasted 🙂
Until next time!